JOB SUMMARY: Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory.
Pressure Myography Experiments
* Perform dissections of specific blood vessels from mouse and rat models * Work with the cardiovascular tissue core to procure human vessel samples * Tend and analyze myography experiments involving mouse/rat/human blood vessels * Perform statistical analysis of the data
* Perform immunohistochemistry on cultured cells and frozen tissue samples * Prepare frozen/paraffin tissue sections
Cell culture * Maintain mouse and human cell lines * Help to execute cell-based experiments * Isolate RNA for qPCR experiments
Mouse work * breed mice for timed pregnancies and tissue harvesting
Prepare reagents * calculate molarity or % solution * make complete media for cell culture
Welcome to the Mildred Stahlman Division of Neonatology
In 1959, Dr. Mildred Stahlman set out to establish the first intensive care unit for newborns at the Vanderbilt University Hospital. The unit quickly became a referral center for high-risk newborns across Tennessee and extending into Southern Kentucky and Northern Alabama. With the realization that optimal neonatal care begins in the womb, a strong bond was forged with Vanderbilt Maternal Fetal Medicine and Pediatric Surgical subspecialists, and one of the first collaborative fetal centers for diagnosis and therapy--the Junior League Center for Advanced Maternal Fetal Care--was established at Vanderbilt to facilitate coordinated diagnosis, consultation, planning and delivery of newborns with complex medical and surgical problems. We continue to follow Dr. Stahlman's mission to foster knowledge through research, teaching and training through patient care, and a commitment to continuous improvement to delivering superb clinical care, with the overarching goal of improving the health of prematurely born infants and infants born at term with complex problems. As the Regional Perinatal Center for Middle Tennessee, we and our obstetric colleagues work with the Tennessee Department of Health to promote access to care and outreach education to reduce preterm birth, maternal mortality, and infant mortality. We are home to a diverse group of physicians and scientists whose professional interests span across multiple areas:
Molecular mechanisms of preterm birth
Child health policy
Quality improvement and implementation science
Full Time/Non-Exempt Position
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
1. Bench work
Work with the PI to plan and execute experiments
Compile and communicate results
Facilitate communications between the lab and core facilities to move projects forward (imaging core, sequencing core, mouse echo core, etc)
Help with manuscript/grant preparation
2. Ensure laboratory is prepared for experiments
Maintian animal colony
Maintain sterile conditions as required
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year experience
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.